Did you know that almost one third of your life is spent at work? Living in Singapore, a 40 hour work week and more, is the norm. With so many people spending a majority of their awake hours at the workplace, it would be wise to make office spaces, conducive and as comfortable as possible. Investing in employee wellness by keeping the office clean raises energy levels and creativity, boosts morale and hence, increases productivity. A clean workplace also makes your clients feel confident about your business. An unkempt workplace gives a careless impression and customers may assume you won’t care about their business needs too.
Raising the bar for Workplace Productivity
Besides a clean office, individual work space, furniture and office ergonomics also improve work standards. Good lighting, comfortable temperature, green or flowering plants as well as choosing the right colour scheme to stimulate your employees all make for a positive and productive environment.
Fortunately for us in Singapore, government agencies like the National Environment Agency (NEA) and SkillFuture SG (SSG) are always trying to raise cleaning standards here through training and up-skilling the workforce, adopting technology and more.
So how can one keep their office actually clean? With so much online information available these days on effective cleaning methods, it can get overwhelming! So, to keep it simple yet applicable, here’s a sequence of handy tips to clean any office space effectively.
5 Office Space Cleaning Routine Tips
1. Preparation and Inspection
- Wear appropriate gear.
- Check condition of tools and equipment.
- Display safety sign.
- Check and report any damages in the property.
- Identify hazards or risks at work area.
- Check for spills.
2. Removing Spills and Stain on Carpets
- Check for colour fastness on the carpet.
- Remove furniture and obstacles.
- Spray carpet cleaner and clear spill with absorbent paper.
- Spray water and use cloth to blot till spill or stain is removed.
3. Vacuuming and Cleaning of Surfaces
- Vacuum carpeted area section at a time starting from far end.
- Check for anymore spills or stains.
- Place back all furniture.
- Dilute cleaning chemical into spray bottle.
- Spray solution on cloth and wipe all horizontal surfaces starting from the edge.
- Rinse cloth when necessary.
4. Cleaning the Pantry
- Display safety sign.
- Spray cleaning solution on spills or stains on floor.
- Clear spills using absorbent paper.
- Spray water and use cloth to remove spills or stains.
- Sweep floors paying attention to corners.
- Fill water and mopping solution in bucket.
- Dip mop in solution and wring.
- Mop floor section by section.
- Rinse mop before moving to a new section.
5. Emptying Waste Bins
- Tie and remove used bin liner, keeping it away from body.
- Dispose it in service trolley.
- Clean the interior and exterior with sanitizer.
- Place bin with new liner.
After completing these 5 steps, assess the areas cleaned and check that work has been done according to requirements. Remove all safety signs and return all tools and equipment to the store. Wash hands thoroughly for good hygiene.
Even with these standards in place, it is up to the office admins and facility managers to ensure processes are adhered with regular inspections and evaluation.
Keeping up with the cleanliness of your office space can be difficult on your own. That’s why many business owners choose to hire professional cleaning companies to maintain their space. A1 Cleaning Services has a dedicated team of trained office cleaners to meet your needs.